Do you have questions about your payment processing equipment? Check here for answers to some common questions.
If you don't find your answer, our friendly support team will help.
How to Connect Your Ethernet Terminal
Your terminal has been designed so it can be set up quickly and easily. However, we understand you may need some support. If you are not able to connect, check the following:
- Confirm that the amber and green light is active (illuminated). This light should be located where your CAT-5 Ethernet cable is connected to your terminal.
- Verify that the CAT-5 cables are securely connected to the correct port, both on the terminal and the Ethernet port on your router.
- Try rebooting your router and/or terminal.
- Disconnect the power cable to the terminal and router.
- Unplug the CAT-5 cables connecting the equipment.
- Wait approximately 30 seconds. Reconnect the CAT-5 cables and the power on the devices in order from the wall to the terminal.
- Allow 60 seconds for the terminal application to reboot and establish a connection with the router.
- If your business uses the same router to connect to a PC, attempt to ping our company Web site to verify that your router is working properly.
- Finally, if your PC connection works, connect the terminal CAT-5 cable to the port on your router being used by your PC.
Please note that Voice over IP (VOIP) is not supported by our hardware.
How to Process Your Sale
If you are processing a Chip card, make sure you keep it inserted until the terminal prompts you to remove it. If you remove the card early, it can sometimes double charge or cause other errors. Here are some quick tips to help you:
- If you are attempting to insert a card, be sure to wait for the terminal to prompt you to do so.
- If you are processing any payment, make sure to examine the card before processing it. Do not swipe Chip cards.
How to Troubleshoot Your Terminal
So that we can better serve you, try these steps before you call us:
- Note the exact error message you are receiving and write it down.
- Take notes on what you were doing when the problem occurred. Knowing this history will help us as we work together to solve your problem.
- Reboot your terminal, if you are able—often some problems will resolve themselves after you reboot. However, if this does not help, contact us for support.
Verifone Terminal Rebooted
If you own an OMNI 3750, Vx510, Vx570, or Vx810 terminal you may have noticed it rebooted to a screen you are unfamiliar with. Be sure to select “SOFTPAY-PAYM” when you reboot so you can return to your regular Sale, Settlement and Void screen.
- A batch must remain open in order for a void to be performed. If a batch has been settled, you must perform a return.
- If a transaction is voided, your point-of-sale software will attempt to release the hold from your customer’s card. If the hold is not released, the hold will appear on the customer’s card and the authorization will stay on the card for 5-7 days. The customer can contact their issuer to ask about removing the hold.
If you accidentally include an incorrect amount when running a transaction, take the following steps:
- Undercharge: Void the original transaction and reattempt for the correct amount.
- Overcharge: Void the original transaction and then perform a force sale using the original authorization number to prevent a second hold on the customer's funds. Then run a new sale with the correct amount.
Adjusting for Tips
- Already settled a batch without adjusting a tip amount? No problem – just process the tip amount manually.
Length of Authorization
- The length of authorization depends on the issuing back. Normally, an authorization is valid between 5-7 days.
- Your merchant number was included in your Welcome Kit. It is also printed on your statement and appears in the description for deposits to your bank account. Additionally, some terminals include it on receipts.
- You need to have your Merchant Number available in order for a customer service representative to help you. If you cannot find your Welcome Kit or Merchant Number for help.
- Expect settled batches to appear in your bank account in 1-3 business days. Note that any fraud filter holds placed on your account will impact the length of time, as well as which financial institution you bank with.
Quick Reference Guides
If you need answers to your equipment questions, our Quick Reference Guides can help you set up your terminal, perform force sales, settle batches and more.